Transforming Higher Education –
One Mindful Student at a Time
Empower your students to move from feeling stressed and burnt out to feeling capable and resilient using our evidence-based curriculum.
Rising Student Stress
A national survey revealed that 72% of students experience moderate to severe psychological distress. This has led to challenges with student retention, increases in student harm/violence, and increased demand for mental health services.
Higher education professionals are increasingly concerned about rising student stress levels, and they themselves often feel overwhelmed and burnt out.
College administrators seek proven strategies for relief that can be readily implemented on campus.
The American Council on Education’s 2023 report “What Works for Improving Mental Health in Higher Education?” noted, “Mindfulness programs with supervised practice have the most consistently positive evidence.”
Mindfulness, the capacity to pay attention to your present-moment experience with an attitude of kindness and compassionate curiosity, was also identified as one of the most important skills for improving mental health in the largest meta-analysis ever done on the effectiveness of psychotherapy.
The Mindfulness Institute for Emerging Adults (MIEA) offers evidence-based programming that promotes individual mentoring by a trained teacher and provides supervised practice in the context of small-group learning.
MIEA’s curriculum, developed at Duke University, is the gold standard for mindfulness education on campuses worldwide. It is taught by a diverse community of 1,000 teachers, to over 60,000 students, on more than 250 campuses, in 14 countries.
Our evidence-based curriculum consistently empowers students to achieve higher levels of well-being and resilience.
This class has changed my life.
Exercise Science Major / Manhattan College
Implement campus-wide programming
How Our Program Works
Contract with the Mindfulness Institute for Emerging Adults to train the necessary number of teachers to fully support your campus and ensure a comprehensive program implementation.
- Host an Onsite Teacher Training Workshop
Together we will engage participants from your community for our MIEA teacher certification program. Our experienced MIEA trainers will visit your campus to conduct the Training Workshop.
- Recruit Students & Start Teaching
These teachers will then offer the evidence-based curriculum to your students with help from MIEA.
- Embed Mindfulness Education Throughout Your Campus
We’ll help you develop a strategy for integrating mindfulness into campus programming to reach the most students.
Full Support for Your Campus
Partner with MIEA for a guided journey towards transforming your educational environment. We provide step-by-step support, from initial training to full program implementation, ensuring you have the necessary expertise and assistance.
Our partnership includes:
- Mindfulness Fundamentals Course
- Teacher Certification
Immersive Workshop, Online Consultations, 3-Day Mindfulness Retreat
- Custom Program Development
- Teacher Dashboard Subscription
- Apps for All Students
- Tech Support for Students & Teachers
- Ongoing Mentoring from MIEA
- Custom Marketing
- Quantitative & Qualitative Assessment
- Curriculum Books
With MIEA, you’re equipped with a comprehensive package for impactful, campus-wide mindfulness integration.
Inspiring Words from Our Students
I went into the Mindfulness classes knowing absolutely nothing about meditation or mindfulness. After 4 weeks, I can say that this class truly helped me work through problems in my life that I never thought I could improve.
I just wanted to let you know how helpful these practices have been in my adjustment to living in a new country. I’ve had a few moments where I’ve felt a bit anxious and homesick, but just taking a brief moment to breathe and meditate has made a world of difference to me.
Max BartlettDuke University
These classes have changed how I approach relationships, stress, and normal day-to-day activities.
Transform Your Campus
Get Started with MIEA Today
Discover the Difference
Our tailored, evidence-based curriculum equips professionals like you to build resilience in students and transform higher education, one mindful student at a time.
Our evidence-based curriculum enhances well-being, reduces stress, improves sleep, fosters self-compassion, and promotes resilience.
Tailored for Students
Our curriculum is uniquely designed for college-aged adults, addressing their specific needs and challenges with practical skills.
Guided by Experts
Led by experienced faculty and trainers, our Mindfulness Teacher Certification program ensures our curriculum is delivered skillfully.
Effortlessly manage courses, boost engagement, and create meaningful connections with students with our innovative tools.
Inspiring Words from Our Teachers
We chose MIEA because it was tailored specifically to the population we were serving. This is what really stood out to us among other potential programs… The certification does not end with the training!
Penelope WongBerea College
The ending of my classes left me in tears as the students shared the impact of the class.
I am honored to be given the opportunity to engage with students in a meaningful, transformative, mindful way. What a gift!
Cheryl Mitri, MSW, RSWSeneca College
Last night each student’s check-in sounded like a glowing testimonial of how transformative class has been for them in a short time, and how the range of positive experiences was motivation for them to keep it up.
Maria SperdutoYale University
The Path to Certification
The process of becoming a Certified MIEA Mindfulness Teacher typically takes 6 months to 1 year and equips educators with the skills to effectively teach mindfulness to college-aged adults.
By completing certification, educators will be fully prepared to make a meaningful impact by sharing the gift of mindfulness with college-aged adults transforming campuses one mindful student at a time.
- Completion of our 5-week introductory course, Fundamentals.
Acceptable alternatives to Fundamentals include MBSR, MBCT, MSC, training by the Center for Mind-Body Medicine, formal mindfulness training with an experienced teacher, or attendance at multiple retreats.
- An ongoing personal practice, most days, for at least 6 months.
- Experience teaching or facilitating groups is recommended.
- Strongly recommended experience working with diverse populations or engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion activities.
Once accepted into our Certification program, kickstart the journey with our immersive workshop, available in-person (3 days, 8 hrs/day) or online (5 days, 5 hrs/day).
During the workshop, participants will:
- Understand the unique developmental challenges faced by 18-30-year-olds and the invaluable role of mindfulness.
- Explore curriculum research and relevant mindfulness studies specific to college-aged adults.
- Gain insights into the common obstacles college-aged adults face with mindfulness and meditation, and learn effective teaching strategies.
- Acquire and demonstrate essential mindfulness skills from MIEA’s curriculum.
- Develop expertise to organize and lead Intro to Mindfulness classes.
After successfully completing the workshop, participants will transition to the practical phase. Organize and lead mindfulness classes with ongoing support from our experienced faculty.
During this phase, participants will:
- Teach 3 Intro to Mindfulness courses, applying their knowledge to make a real impact.
- Participate in 4 online consultations with MIEA faculty and fellow teachers-in-training, benefiting from their guidance, feedback, and shared experiences.
This hands-on experience and collaborative support will refine teaching skills, deepen understanding of our approach, and enhance effectiveness as a Certified MIEA Mindfulness Teacher.
The final step towards certification is the submission of the portfolio, which includes:
- Completion of Required Components: Demonstrate understanding and mastery of MIEA’s curriculum through completion of required readings, practice teaching the curriculum, and review of recordings of experienced teachers facilitating Intro to Mindfulness classes.
- Student Evaluations: Include student evaluations from 3 courses, providing valuable feedback and insights on teaching effectiveness.
- Mindfulness Meditation Retreat: Participation in a 3-day or longer mindfulness meditation retreat.
- Reflective Essay: Write a short essay reflecting on the experience teaching MIEA’s curriculum, sharing insights and lessons learned.
Applicants demonstrating readiness will be invited to pay an annual fee. For those needing further development, additional study, practice, or supervision may be recommended.
Participants have up to 1 year from the workshop to complete the certification training, with the option to extend if needed.
MIEA Institutional Partners
The Mindfulness Institute for Emerging Adults has partnered with leading campuses to transform how educators and students build resiliency and the skills needed to succeed.
Join these partners in providing proven strategies for your students and staff.