Become a Certified MIEA Mindfulness Teacher
Online Mindfulness Certification Workshop
January 22 – 26, 2024
9 am -2 pm (ET)
Our online Mindfulness Teacher Certification workshop is an amazing opportunity for mindfulness practitioners from around the world to come together and train to be certified MIEA Mindfulness Teachers.
This 5-day online workshop runs at a relaxed pace with 5-hour days and allows you to get started with your training in the convenience of your own home.
You will gain the skills and knowledge to become a certified MIEA Mindfulness Teacher and leave the training ready to make a difference in the lives of your students.
The training was an overwhelmingly positive experience.
All of the trainers were kind, personable, inclusive, accepting and so down-to-earth. It was clear that they all have a deep meditation practice and teach from genuine experience and understanding.
Johns Hopkins University
Apply by Jan. 12th to secure your spot:
"*" indicates required fields
During the Workshop
During the workshop that kicks off your mindfulness teacher certification, we will collaborate to enhance your learning experience through the following activities:
- Engage in large group and small group gatherings to optimize opportunities for learning and discussion. Interactive exchanges will deepen your understanding of the material and provide opportunities for shared insights.
- Familiarize yourself with our unique technology: the MIEA mobile app and teacher dashboard. You will gain hands-on experience with the tools that will support your teaching journey. Through guided exploration, you will become comfortable navigating these resources.
- Learn and practice the art of teaching MIEA’s skills and meditations. Through experiential practices and group exercises, you will develop confidence in delivering the content effectively and engagingly.
- Immerse yourself in the Mindfulness Retreat, a four-hour meditation experience designed to deepen your personal practice. This immersive session will allow you to have a deeper experience of mindfulness during the training.
By actively participating in these activities, you will acquire the necessary skills and firsthand experience to confidently teach MIEA’s curriculum and empower young adults with mindfulness practices.
Before the Workshop
To prepare for the workshop, we ask you to read two essential books that form the foundation of MIEA’s curriculum:
During the mindfulness teacher certification workshop, you will:
- Understand the unique developmental challenges faced by 18-30-year-olds and the invaluable role of mindfulness and meditation in addressing these challenges.
- Explore the research on MIEA/Koru and other relevant mindfulness studies that specifically relate to college-aged adults.
- Gain insights into the common obstacles college-aged adults encounter with mindfulness and meditation, and learn effective teaching strategies to overcome these hurdles.
- Acquire and demonstrate the essential mindfulness skills taught in MIEA’s curriculum.
- Develop the expertise to organize and deliver Intro to Mindfulness, Part 1 classes (formerly Koru Basic).
Inspiring Words from Our Teachers
We chose MIEA because it was tailored specifically to the population we were serving. This is what really stood out to us among other potential programs… The teacher certification does not end with the training!
MIEA has absolutely knocked it out of the park with the packaging, presentation, and scaffolded curriculum.
The Peavey Project
Last night each student’s check-in sounded like a glowing testimonial of how transformative MIEA has been for them in a short time, and how the range of positive experiences was motivation for them to keep it up.
Who Is This Training For?
This training is designed for professionals who aim to incorporate mindfulness into their work with college and graduate students or other emerging adults. The following professionals may find it particularly relevant:
- College Counseling Center Professionals
- Health and Wellness Professionals
- Higher Education Professionals providing academic support to emerging adults
- University-Based Student Affairs Professionals
- Professionals assisting college-aged adults with stress-related conditions
- Faculty and other higher educational professionals
These requirements ensure a comprehensive learning experience and foster meaningful connections within the training community.
- Review the provided course material, including the required readings.
- Successfully complete all of the quizzes.
- Attend all of the online live sessions and participate actively in your small groups.
We offer 18 APA-approved CE credits for psychologists as part of our Mindfulness Certification Workshop, available both in-person and online. Our commitment to your professional growth includes providing high-quality continuing education that meets the standards set by the American Psychological Association (APA).
Learn more about our CE credits here, including specific completion requirements.
The idea that mindfulness and meditation can make the world a better place is very real to me.
MIEA is basically training soldiers of compassion to go out into the world and spread the virtues of being present.
University of Louisville
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does certification usually take?
The majority of our teachers submit their portfolio within 1 year of attending their workshop. Teachers who have completed a 3-day retreat before applying typically submit their portfolio 6-12 months after their workshop.
What are the prerequisites for applying for Certification?
- Completion of our 5-week introductory course, Fundamentals.
Acceptable alternatives to Fundamentals include MBSR, MBCT, MSC, training by the Center for Mind-Body Medicine, formal mindfulness training with an experienced teacher, or attendance at multiple retreats.
- An ongoing personal practice, most days, for at least 6 months.
- Experience teaching classes or facilitating groups is suggested.
- Experience working with diverse populations or participation in diversity training experiences is strongly recommended.
How much does MIEA’s certification training cost?
Teacher Certification Training
- Tuition: $1,595 to $1,895
- Cost of 4 required books: ~$50
- Cost of optional suggested readings: ~$100
- After certification, the annual fee is $225/year
- This fee covers the license to teach our curriculum, use the trademarked logo, and access our technology
Other Costs to Consider
- Optional Reading Material: ~$100
- Travel to in-person workshop
- Room & Board for in-person workshop
- App fees for students: $3.99/app
- 3-month extension: $59
What if I don’t finish my Teacher Certification portfolio within one year?
You will be able to extend your training period for an additional 6 months total ($59 for 3 months).
What if I am not affiliated with a University?
We have many teachers who teach mindfulness at community centers, private practices, and other types of organizations. These teachers, fondly referred to as Teachers in the Wild, have built a strong and supportive community on our teacher forum and meet monthly in our online support group.
What is your withdrawal and refund policy?
What are the terms and conditions of Certification?
All teachers must agree to our Teacher Certification Agreement which outlines the rights, responsibilities, and terms of teaching MIEA’s curriculum. The document contains information on intellectual property, who can teach, access to our technology, and conducting research.
Can I get CE Credits?
Yes! Psychologists can earn 18 APA-approved CE credits through our comprehensive program, designed to enrich professional expertise and development.
What are the learning objectives of the Certification Workshop?
- Identify three theories pointing to the significant rise in mental health concerns among emerging adults.
- Identify the five pillars of Emerging Adulthood, as posited by Jeffrey Arnett, Ph.D.
- Identify six key factors of the MIEA Mindfulness Curriculum.
- Cite the four outcome measures that were being studied in MIEA’s (formerly Koru) randomized controlled trial.
- Cite three published research outcomes specific to the application of mindfulness interventions for the reduction of stereotype threat, unconscious bias, and improved mental health outcomes.
- Cite the region of the brain impacted by the practice of meditation.
- Identify two common stumbling blocks emerging adults experience with mindfulness and meditation.
- Cite the nine mindfulness skills comprising the MIEA Mindfulness Curriculum.
- Create a MIEA Mindfulness Course on the MIEA Teacher Dashboard.
- Identify six core principles of mindfulness.
- Cite four key trauma-informed principles embedded in the MIEA mindfulness curriculum.
What books do I need to read for Certification?
Mindfulness for the Next Generation: Helping Emerging Adults Manage Stress and Lead Healthier Lives
By Holly Rogers and Margaret Maytan • Oxford Press, 2012 • 2nd Ed.
This book is the manual for teaching our curriculum.
The Mindful Twenty-Something: Life Skills to Handle Stress…and Everything Else
By Holly Rogers • New Harbinger, 2016
This book, written by MIEA’s co-founder, is the companion text for students taking Intro to Mindfulness.
By Sharon Salzberg • Workman Publishing Company, 2010
This book serves as the companion text for students taking Intro to Mindfulness Part 2.
Trauma Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing
By David A. Treleaven • W. W. Norton & Company, 2018
Anywhere mindfulness is being practiced, someone in the room will likely be struggling with trauma.
- Emerging Adulthood: The Winding Road from the Late Teens through the Twenties
By Jeffrey Jensen Arnett • Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, 2015
- Awakening Together: The Spiritual Practice of Inclusivity and Community
By Larry Yang • Wisdom Publications, 2017
- Mindful of Race: Transforming Racism from the Inside Out
By Ruth King • Sounds True, 2018
- iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy–And Completely Unprepare
By Jean M Twenge • Atria Books, 2018
How are you different from other mindfulness programs?
MIEA was designed specifically for college-aged adults and differs from mindfulness programs developed for more general populations of adults in several ways.
Embark on a transformative journey with our Mindfulness Teacher Certification program. Acquire the essential skills and insights required to adeptly guide others on their mindfulness path. Our comprehensive training equips you with the expertise needed to lead impactful sessions and cultivate a profound comprehension of mindfulness practices. Join us today to step into the role of a certified mindfulness teacher through our Mindfulness Teacher Certification program. Begin your voyage towards mindfulness excellence and attain your Mindfulness Teacher Certification.